Friday, October 20, 2017
Yankees: Luis Severino (R): (193.1 IP, 2.98 ERA, 5.5 RA9 WAR) vs. Astros: Justin Verlander (R): (206 IP, 3.36 ERA, 5.9 RA9 WAR)
1. Brett Gardner (L) LF .264/.350/.428, 3.8 fWAR
2. Aaron Judge (R) RF .284/.422/.627, 8.2 fWAR
3. Didi Gregorius (L) SS .287/.318/.478, 3.9 fWAR
4. Gary Sanchez (R) C .278/.345/.531, 4.4 fWAR
5. Greg Bird (L) 1B .190/.288/.422, -0.4 fWAR
6. Starlin Castro (R) 2B .300/.338/.454, 1.9 fWAR
7. Aaron Hicks (S) CF .266/.372/.475, 3.3 fWAR
8. Todd Frazier (R) 3B .213/.344/.428, 3 fWAR
9. Chase Headley (S) DH .273/.352/.406, 1.9 fWAR
Team Total: 30.0 fWAR
1. George Springer (R) CF .283/.367/.522, 4.5 fWAR
2. Josh Reddick (L) RF .314/.363/.484, 3.5 fWAR
3. Jose Altuve (R) 2B .346/.410/.547, 7.5 fWAR
4. Carlos Correa (R) SS .315/.391/.550, 5.2 fWAR
5. Yuli Gurriel (R) 1B .299/.332/.486, 1.8 fWAR
6. Alex Bregman (R) 3B .284/.352/.475, 3.8 fWAR
7. Marwin Gonzalez (S) LF .303/.377/.530, 4.1 fWAR
8. Evan Gattis (R) DH .263/.311/.457, 0.9 fWAR
9. Brian McCann (L) C .241/.323/.436, 1.6 fWAR
Team Total: 32.9 fWAR
I never thought this series was coming back to Houston. While the Yankees are now the favorites to win this series, they are probably the underdog in each of the two games that are potentially going to be played.
The good news is that Justin Verlander is no Lance McCullers or Dallas Keuchel. The bad news is Luis Severino is no CC Sabathia or Sonny Gray or Masahiro Tanaka. In fact, by Game Score two of Severino’s worst three starts in the regular season were versus Houston, against whom he pitched a total of 7.2 innings while allowing 15 hits , nine runs and four walks. That’s not particularly good. We all know that Verlander has dominated the Yankees all season, holding them to one run and averaging 13 K per nine innings. Dominant.
If there is a Game 7, all momentum will have shifted back to Houston and it’s essentially a guaranteed loss for the Yankees. The Yankees don’t have to win tonight but I am certain that whomever wins tonight’s game will win the AL pennant and earn the privilege of losing to the Dodgers in the World Series.
The fact that the Yankees have won three games in the ALCS is cool, but it would be even cooler if they won a fourth one.
Page 1 of 1 pages: