Wednesday, September 20, 2017
NEW YORK—Luis Severino was moved up two days by the New York Yankees and is scheduled to start Wednesday against the Minnesota Twins.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi said Tuesday the move was made to give Severino three more regular-season starts as New York tries to overtake Boston in the American League East.
Severino had been slated to start Friday at Toronto and will be replaced against the Blue Jays by Masahiro Tanaka.
A 23-year-old right-hander, Severino is 13-6 with a 2.93 ERA in 29 starts this season. He has not allowed more than one earned run in nine of 12 outings since the All-Star break.
“Our goal is still to win the division. We’ve clinched nothing at this point,” Girardi said. “We still have a lot of work to do in front of us, so it gives us the ability to start him three more times.”
Obviously if you can get more starts out of Severino it’s better, but the division is over. Boston’s schedule is a sick joke and they are not going to lose another three games during the remainder of the regular season.
Congratulations to them on their AL East title. I’ll take the consolation prize of winning the third order standings division title.
Page 1 of 1 pages: