The Curse of Jerry Hairston, Jr./Eric Hinske:

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Yankees (38-24) @ Angels (34-34), Wednesday, 6/14/2017, 10:07p ET

Yankees: Michael Pineda (R): (71.2 IP, 3.39 ERA) vs. Angels: Matt Shoemaker (R): (74.2 IP, 4.22 ERA)

Lineups

4. Yunel Escobar (R) 3B .276/.333/.412
5. Luis Valbuena (L) 1B .171/.287/.270
6. Andrelton Simmons (R) SS .281/.339/.407
7. Eric Young Jr. (S) LF .314/.407/.549
8. Danny Espinosa (S) 2B .164/.244/.288
9. Juan Graterol (R) C .257/.257/.286

--Posted at 7:54 pm by SG / 93 Comments | - (0)

Comments

Page 1 of 1 pages:

Is Pujos’s deal the worst ever? Worse than Mike Hampton? Carl Pavano?

Herrera up, Heller down

There’s a concussed centerfielder who may get a couple of votes.

Grade 2 hamstring for CC. Out st least 2 months I think

I didn’t realize, but Pujols had a few 3 win seasons in there. I guess that’s something.

OK, NOW you know it might be a good idea to trade for a SP.

Couldn’t get that single 22 hours ago Gardy.

Ball: Clearly drills Castro and bounds away.

Angels announcer: Looks like the ball may have lightly grazed Castro’s forearm.

Sufficient

That’s 7 in his last 11.  This whole squad can slug*

*Headley not included

Looking like an ideal shut-em’-down inning after your team scores, yes?

Ball: Clearly staying in the deepest part of the park

Angels announcers: Hicks robs Valbuena of a sure thing grand slam.

Imagine having a 348 ops on this team

The potent 1-2 of Eric Young and Danny Espinosa strikes again.

They’re going to need a lot of runs.

Pineda carrying the CC worship a touch too far.

A malaise is infecting the Yankees. Big Mike got nothing.

Gardy doesn’t seem to like runners on third base.

Any team that gives Piñata a multi-year deal will regret it.

Wow, Bird is really struggling.

Wow, Bird is really struggling.

DFA him!

Good thing Warren is rested for tonight. smile

[24]  Amen, brother.

Headley is the worst.

LOL

That went to hades quickly.

Damn, Headley is doing so poorly he’s even getting his own runners out on his hits!

Refsnyder’s right down there though.

Nice piece of hitting with a 2-0 count, Headley and Ref!

Graterol is a funny name to me.  I don’t know why.  I’m sure he’s a perfectly lovely person.

It’s as if, after the manager lost yesterday’s game, the hitters are responding by insisting that this one will be decided on the field.

Cronin, I always loved that you stick around to the end for game chat on the West Coast games.

[27] DFA him!

What a revolting development this is.

You can always count on big Mike after a loss with a 4 run lead.

[37] Sign him now before some other lucky team gets to give him a 4 or 5 year deal.

Judge is even leading the league in psychokinetically pushing weak throws out of gloves.

Bad send, but I’m really starting to dislike Eric Young Hr.

This is like a Murphy’s Law type game.

Put it in the loss column. At least we we have Warren ready for the A’s.

The secret of baseball is having Warren available.

Oh God.  How are Headley and Ref going to ruin this?

[40] Sending on a line drive that one hopped to the LF with Sanchez up next does seem like a poor decision.

See how bad Headley is?

A hit and a Jorge.  Headley’s a rookie so you can’t really blame him for rookie mistakes.

Even when Headley does something right it feels like he did something wrong. Was he intentionally going there to make sure the throw was cut-off and basically giving himself up to make sure another runner wasn’t thrown out at the plate?

[48]  He was being a fucking boat anchor.

[1] Pujols’ deal is great. Judge’s deal is much, much worse.

[49] This may be my favorite response on this site this year.

Clever how Pineda slipped the pitch-out inconspicuously between two balls. That’s how you set them up.

Hey SicSemper—the Zimmerman telegram joke—was that yours?  Google suggests yes.  Brilliant, brilliant joke.

Damn getting beat by Mike Trout is one thing but Eric effing Young Jr.

[54] thanks.

[54] What was the Zimmerman telegram joke?

Good pitch recognition Castro.  Learn the effing game you act like it’s beer league softball.

the yankees are cornering the market on baseball Ronalds.

[58] See 21-23 in prior thread.

This is turning into the clown show of like 2014.

I thought the comparisons to the 90s Yankee teams were overblown, but watching them go out and lose to sucky West Coast teams, I’m beginning to believe in reincarnation.

[63]  Yes.  Sadly.  Though I saw horrendous losses to the Angels on the 2000s as well.

I don’t quite understand why a AA pitcher was the Yankees best option.  How about getting some AAA outs first.  Didn’t Chase Wright get some starts after dominating in AA and then be overmatched.  I mean it’s not like Herrera was some high draft choice can’t miss phenom. We got him for Jose Pirella after all.

Eric Young. Really.

And why was German sent down.  Back to the ridiculous shuffle?

65. Agree joe not afraid to gamble with a raw AA pitcher but
Would not try a double steal with Gardner and Hicks on with no one out

I really don’t think German is all that.  He was lucky.  Pitches all over the place.  Maybe he was nervous, or maybe the command isn’t ML ready yet.

Weirdly Sterling pronounced his name “HERR-man,” with the soft G.  This is the guy who thinks the Toronto slugger is called “BOAT-eesta.”

This is another shitty, shitty loss.  Whatever, they can’t win them all, but some are more annoying than others.

Especially with the Townies catching the dirtbag Phils.

Headley’s OPS almost to 700!

Man I wish I was 20 years younger and going to 25 home games a year.  I would boo Headley so bad.

Yes, this is the kind of sad fantasy that keeps me going in middle age.  [sobs]

I wonder if both sides would be agreeable in the next CBA to an expansion of the 40 man roster. Every team would still require at least 40 but teams could have up to 45 or some number. For the rule 5 draft the team would still have to designate who is on their 40.

Back-to-back and belly-to-belly annoying.

Side effects of Grafterol include itching, swelling, loose stool, restless leg syndrome, auditory hallucinations, sweaty head, hard stool, phantom limbs, night terrors, mid-afternoon terrors, evening ennui, adult SIDS and leprosy. If you have an erection lasting more than four hours after taking Grafterol, please consult Dr. Vinnie Boombats.

In the truest sense of the words, what were the Yankees thinking? Was there no better option than a AA guy?

They’re collectively smarter at baseball than me so I’m sure there’s a logical reason.

[73] If you’re going to fantasize about being 20 years younger and at a ballpark, I’d hope the fantasy would at least bear similarity to a Mickey Mantle note.

[78] Look, that’s the best I got.  Don’t judge.

[74]  I like that, and I’d also like a 26 or 27 man roster with a limit of 12 pitchers.  Owners would hate it though.

See? Just a Murphy’s Law game.

Well that sucked.  Lousy end to a lousy day for me.  [tiny violin]

Acevedo promoted to SWB. I have a feeling they want that arm in the bullpen in the Bronx sometime in 2017.

The Angels have been celebrating in this game like they won the pennant. Cute.

That Castro swing and miss really annoyed me.

What a bunch of super dumb games. This wasn’t as dumb as last night’s, but it was still exceedingly dumb.

Yeah, the Angels were WAY too excited about this series. Oh well, their fans lost out on watching Trout for a lot of the season, so I actually kind of sort of feel bad for them, and I normally don’t feel bad for Angels fans at ALL.

Hey at least Warren and Betances will be available tomorrow.

The invention of the save stat has done more to harm the success of baseball teams than any other factor.

Just as dumb with Pineda coughing up a 4 run lead, Gardy pulling a Carter with a man on 3rd and 1 out, Headley base running, World B Castro hacking, another runner thrown out and some bad hitting luck.

[88] When Chapman comes back, they’ll finally be able to use Betances and Chapman will be the one to sit unused, forgotten, like a ripe banana slipping to the bottom of a child’s backpack, rotting away after weeks of neglect.

Is it a leftover rule from Bud Selig that the Yankees can only have idiots coaching 3rd base? Sending Judge was dumb, dumber when you consider The Sanchez would be up with the bases loaded.

[69] This is the correct pronunciation of “Ge” in Spanish.

Page 1 of 1 pages:

NY Times: The Yankees Have a Consolation Prize: The 2018 Season
(27 Comments - 10/23/2017 4:22:24 pm)

Yankees.com: Yanks’ run ends with Game 7 loss to Astros
(64 Comments - 10/23/2017 10:26:13 am)

Yankees (91-71) @ Astros (101-61), Saturday, 10/21/2017, 06:08p ET
(296 Comments - 10/22/2017 1:14:36 am)

Yankees.com: Yanks can’t close out ALCS; Game 7 tonight
(39 Comments - 10/21/2017 8:21:48 pm)

Yankees (91-71) @ Astros (101-61), Friday, 10/20/2017, 08:08p ET
(261 Comments - 10/21/2017 2:35:49 am)

Yahoo! Sports: Passan: ALCS Game 5: The New York Yankees are actually likable
(93 Comments - 10/20/2017 5:37:09 pm)

Yankees.com: Masa-zero! Yanks blank Astros, lead ALCS 3-2
(164 Comments - 10/20/2017 1:58:50 pm)

Astros (101-61) @ Yankees (91-71), Wednesday, 10/18/2017, 05:08p ET
(274 Comments - 10/19/2017 3:10:10 am)

Yankees.com: Judge & fury: Yankees erupt late, tie ALCS!
(52 Comments - 10/18/2017 4:57:44 pm)

Astros (101-61) @ Yankees (91-71), Tuesday, 10/17/2017, 05:08p ET
(434 Comments - 10/18/2017 3:26:53 am)