Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Rodriguez is expected to be discharged tomorrow. He’ll then begin a supervised rehabilitation program, which Dr. Kelly has explained as including five steps.
1. Healing phase: Lasts about six weeks. Only range of motion exercises.
2. Early strengthening phase: Could take another six weeks or so for tissue to fully heal, and during that time they’ll be protective.
3. Strengthening phase: Roughly three months after the surgery, Rodriguez can begin strengthening in an “aggressive fashion.”
4. Endurance phase: After Rodriguez builds enough strength to do regular workouts, he’ll then be able to train for athletic strength and endurance.
5. Coordination phase: This is the last part of Rodriguez’s rehab, which Dr. Kelly described as “the functional return to sport.”
It looks like the Yankees may be able to pencil in a .700 OPS at third base after the All Star Break.